Crystals are much more than just a pretty sparkly decoration for your vanity and they're not just hippie dippy woo woo weird stuff either! But what exactly are they and is it really possible to use the powers of quartz crystals for healing?
What is a Quartz Crystal?
Allow me get a little nerdy, and I'll tell you all about it! Quartz is the second most abundant natural minerals found on Earth, the first being feldspar. Put simply, quartz is composed of silicon and oxygen atoms with a chemical formula of SiO₂ which can present in many forms.
The most universally known quartz formation is a candle shaped, hexagonal prismatic crystalline formation with natural facets at one or both ends - aka the clear quartz crystal.
Clear Quartz is the Master Healer
The Sacred Geometry of a 6-sided Clear Quartz Point contributes to its ability to magnify energetic vibrations. Quartz Points are wonderful crystals to use with any type of meditation or healing energy work such as Reiki, sound healing, aromatherapy, flower essence therapy, and more.
Clear Quartz Crystals amplify energy and thought, as well as the effect of other crystals.
Clear quartz crystals are energy amplifiers. Whatever energy you bring, they will amplify whether it's clear and concise, muddled or confused, angry and disconnected, or joyful and enlightened. Consider quartz as a magnifying glass to your energy and emotions, and strive to use your quartz crystals as healing tools with proper respect and awareness.
Clear quartz has the capacity to absorb, store, release and regulate energy. It resonates with all of the chakras as well as each Zodiac sign. Quartz enhances spiritual growth, spirituality, awareness, and wisdom. It increases inspiration and creativity. It can also help with concentration, studying, and retaining what one learns. Quartz is a stone of harmony and is helpful in romantic relationships.
- Quartz can balance and revitalize the physical, mental, emotional and spiritual planes.
- Cleanse and enhance the organs and subtle bodies.
- Quartz can be a catalyst, facilitating a deep soul cleansing, connecting the physical dimension with the mind.
- Enhances psychic abilities.
- Aids concentration and unlocks memory, potentially deep past life memories as well as access to Akashic records.
- Stimulates the immune system and brings the body into balance.
- Harmonize the chakras and align the subtle bodies.
Clear Quartz Crystals are perfect for carrying in your pocket, purse or for tucking under your pillow. Clear Quartz is powerfully protective. It dispels negativity and clears away negative energy. It can be used to purify and clarify on the spiritual, mental and physical planes.
Wearing, carrying or meditating with a Clear Quartz crystal opens the mind and heart to higher guidance, allowing the realm of Spirit to be transmitted and translated into the world of physical form.
Crystals are not a “Magic Pill” to fix any problems or issues as a passive bystander while sitting pretty on your dresser.
Quartz crystals are powerful healers when used with consciousness, clear intention, and positive energy. So how can YOU use the powers of quartz crystals for healing?
- Curate a crystal collection and interact with it in any way that inspires you.
- Decorate your space with crystals and stones.
- Wear crystal jewelry.
- Give crystals as meaningful and personal gifts.
- Meditate with your crystals.
- Use crystal infused skincare products.
- Tuck a crystal into your pocket, wallet, your bra, or under your pillow.
- Place them in sunny windowsills or in your plants.
- Program your crystal with a healing mantra and allow the crystal's energy to amplify the message into your environment.
Mantra: I am beautiful. I am bountiful. I am blissful.
Trust that the right crystals will find you
It may sound daunting to find the right crystals that you can form a bond with. Is it even possible to be friends with a rock? But I do suggest that you think of your crystals as energetic allies, each with their own personality, their own energetic blueprint.
Finding the right crystal can happen in so many ways, but rest assured that the right crystal will find you at the right time.
It doesn’t matter if you’re choosing from a table display full of stones that you can see and hold and commune with, if you’re ordering online from a trusted merchant, if someone gifts you a crystal, or if you're choosing a crystal from your collection to meditate with this morning – subtle energy works in wondrous and mysterious ways.
Trust that the universe is magically delivering you exactly what you need in the perfect timing. Trust the timing of your life as they say!
Don't worry! You're not going to choose the wrong one! Energetically like attracts like. Just be open and think positive thoughts? Before stepping into the shop ask the universe and your higher self to help you find the crystal that will being you the most benefit right now.
Mantra: I am crystal clear on my intentions and goals.
When you’re choosing a crystal in person find one that sparks your interest and pick it up. Hold it in your receptive, non-dominant hand. Do you feel anything? Is there some kind of unexplained connection? Pick up a few more and see if you connect with one more than the other. Are you captivated by it's beauty? Does it give you an energy zing in your hand?
Sometimes it's love at first sight -- LOL, but seriously. And other times you might leave the shop, but can't get the crystal out of your mind. The crystal might come back into your thoughts or you may have a dream about it. If this happens, I highly recommend acquiring that crystal if possible as it has the potential to be a powerful teacher and ally for you!
How can I feel the energy of a crystal?
That depends! It really depends on you, and it also depends on the crystal. Just like making friends, as you begin to dive into the world of crystals, you will notice that you are intuitively more attracted to certain stones than you are to others.
A simple way to drop in and feel the energy of a crystal is to focus on one stone at a time.
Take off any other crystal jewelry -- even your engagement ring, remove that stone from your pocket, etc. All crystals, gems, rocks and minerals carry a unique vibration, or personality. It’s much easier when you’re starting out with crystals to clear the decks and focus on one stone, one energetic vibration at a time.
Think of it like a one on one conversation vs a cocktail party. The party is fun with everyone’s personality bouncing off of one another, but the one on one conversation has the potential to go a lot deeper and get much more personal. Remove any other distractions; turn off the radio, tv, cell phone, etc. You can put on some meditation music to help clear your mind, I like Stephen Halpern, specifically Tonal Alchemy which is the perfect high vibe combo of crystal bowls, om's and new age tones.
This Meditation Will Help You Get In Tune With Your New Crystal
Sit in a simple meditation with the crystal in your receptive/non-dominant hand. Close your eyes, and take several long slow deep breaths. Focus on your breathing, in and out while you begin to visualize the crystal’s energy in your hand, as you inhale and exhale.
Imagine that energy forming an orb, a sphere of glowing light. With each breath in and out, allow the energy to take shape and grow, feel the energy, imagine breathing in healing energy to every cell of your body, and breathe it back out sharing this healing with the Earth. This crystal came from the heart of the Earth. Feel that connection.
Affirmation: I am a radiant being filled with healing of light.
Allow the crystal to take you on a journey without any expectation of the outcome. Bring your focus back on the crystal, your breath or the music when you get distracted. Sit for a few minutes, or as long as you wish. Ease yourself back into "reality" by opening your eyes slowly, becoming aware of your surroundings, taking a few deep breaths of transition. Look at your crystal. Do you feel more connected? Are you better friends?
My Favorite Books On Crystals
As an obsessive researcher, I have an extensive library of crystal books that I've been collecting since the early 90's. Since not all crystal books are the same, or even that great, I've put a short list together for you of my favs.
- The first ever crystal book by Katrina Raphael called Crystal Enlightenment: The Transforming Properties of Crystals and Healing Stones is quite beloved.
- The most comprehensive and informative book in my library is The Book of Stones: Who They Are And What They Teach. This is my #1 recommendation if I could only to own one crystal book, this would be it. Definitely my all time favorite crystal book, it was co-authored by my crystal teacher Naisha Ashian and Robert Simmons. Do not opt for the "pocket book' version, it's not the same, and not worth buying!
- I also love the sweet and honest hippie vibe of Melody's books, especially Love Is in the Earth: A Kaleidoscope of Crystals: The Reference Book Describing the Metaphysical Properties of the Mineral Kingdom
- The more recent Crystal Muse: Everyday Rituals to Tune In to the Real You by Heather Askinose and Timmi Jandro.