Here's a simple DIY skin care recipe to make your own very versatile Rosewater at home in your kitchen from fresh flowers. Use the most fragrant, fresh from the garden or farmer's market roses you can find. It's important that the roses don't have any pesticides or fungicides, especially if you're going to be using the rosewater on your skin.
Old Fashioned Rose Water Recipe
Use equal volume rose petals to distilled water, roughly. A tiny dash of pink Himalayan salt helps bring out the oils.
- Place the rose petals in a glass or enamel pot, pour in distilled water to just cover.
- Heat until water is scalding but not boiling.
- Turn off the heat, let soak for at least an hour.
- Strain in tea towel or cheesecloth, squeezing out the petals.
- Store in a sterilized glass bottle in your refrigerator.
This homemade rosewater is a veritable Nectar of the Gods! It can be used in many recipes, from foods to your DIY skin care recipes like this SOOTHING ROSEWATER EYE DE-PUFFER from our blog, use it as a pillow mist, or put it in a mister bottle and spray on your skin and in your hair for a fragrant aura as lovely as a rose. Your homemade rosewater is excellent for mixing into our dry facial masks, and as the liquid for this DIY ORGANIC SKINCARE RECIPE :: GENTLE GLOW WASHING GRAINS from our blog.
Post image and recipe excerpted from 100 Organic Skincare Recipes written by our founder Jessica Ress. Banner photo is by Briena Sash.